Thursday, April 28, 2016

Post Op (Again)


     So.... back to see my surgeon, Dr Jennifer Daniels (love her). She told me everything on the post op pathology report was good (whew). We reviewed how I am feeling and what is going on. 

     Because I am still tired and wear down easy, I am still off work. We also discussed the hypersensitivity that I am having. Which just puts me thru the roof.... mostly because it makes me crazy and there is nothing I can do to stop it, except take my top off. Apparently the hypersensitivity can be a normal side effect because of the nerve endings being cut and trying to settle down. So, she placed me on neurontin to try to help this. She did say that if in a couple weeks, I can stop it. But if it helps, I will only need to take it a couple months. My incisions are healing like they should and things are going just like they should. She said the swelling I am having is normal. My chest is still swollen and I think there is some swelling in my abdomen too. Fortunately I have not had much of an issue with my left arm (where the lymph nodes were removed). She feels it is because I have been exercising it. However, I'm not done with her yet. :) I have a follow up appointment with her in 6 months. Why so long? Well, I start chemo on May 3rd and since I will be doing chemo, I will be checked on by all the nurses and the doctor there. So, she will see me again in 6 months. However, she told me to please call if there is a problem. 

     So... I start chemo May 3rd. wow.... It will be here soon.... less than a week. I'm off work again next week so that is good.... 

     Dr Daniels said I need to be off work the rest of this week and all of next week. Then I will return to work on May 9th. I will be going back and working half days only. I will be working mornings. I am working half days until June 2nd. After that I will be released to work full time again. My boss is very willing to work with that... so that is good... 

     My big concern now is my hair..... I last worked with everyone on March 11. I left thinking I would only be out a couple weeks and come back. I thought I was only going to have a lumpectomy, so I would basically come back the same... things changed and I had to have a double mastectomy. Because all the swelling has not gone down from my surgery, I cannot get prosthetic breasts yet. I have to wait until 6 - 8 weeks from surgery to get fitted for those. Because I likely have to have radiation, I couldn't have immediate breast reconstruction either. So, I'm flat chested. Nothing. It's quite unique. I look different from how I did on March 11. It makes me sad. I can't change that and as most people say, but you are alive. 

     Back to my hair... I start chemo May 3. They have told me to expect hair loss to start between 10 - 14 days after the first treatment. Well, it will be like 6 days when I go back to work. I've said that I will buzz my hair before it starts to fall out. This is because I don't want to lose it like that. I want some control on losing my hair. Well, the question has become, do I buzz it before I return to work and just go back wearing a wig or do I wait a bit? The first weekend after I return to work, we are going to Chicago for a bridal shower for Rebekah. I do NOT want to be out of town and know that it is a distinct possibility that I will be losing my hair. That I could wake up in a different place and have hair all over my pillow or lose it in the shower and not be prepared. Plus the emotional side of losing my hair.... do I want to deal with that when I am out of town? I could do it the night we leave.... oh joy... that would be fun, huh? I don't know. So, maybe next weekend I will buzz it off. Or as I like to say, "Go 2007 Brittany". 

     So.... things are moving along and I'm overwhelmed again.... but physically, doing well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment