Friday, May 6, 2016

first chemo treatment


     Well, I had my first chemo treatment. I thought it went well. I felt fine during and that night. The next day, I had horrible heartburn. I was eating tums like they were going out of style. Still was not sleeping well. Periodic nausea. So, I ate ginger snaps and ginger candy. That helped. Smalls bits of food, not really meals. By the second day post chemo, I was done. I called the oncologist and told them about my heartburn, insomnia and mentioned that my cheeks were very red and warm. No fever. I got a return call, doc put me on meds for the heartburn, meds for insomnia and the cheeks are from the steriods. Ok.... so, off Rebekah goes to the pharmacy to pick up my meds... God love her! 

     Here on post chemo day three, glad to say they helped. I remember how we used to give protonix in the hospital, on an empty stomach 30 minutes before meals. So, I got up this morning and took that without anything else... waited a half an hour and then had a smoothie made with coconut water. Much better today. Still a lot of belching. But that's better than the burn I was having. It was awful. 

     Yesterday I had little appetite and was just bleh... tired and bleh... today more energy, more appetite. Feeling better. Never normal, but what is normal? 

     One odd thing happened during chemo, the second drug, Cytoxan. My face started feeling numb on the left side. They called the doctor in. He checked me over. They took my vitals (which were fine). He said to take some benedryl and watch it.... well, today it is back. Off and on. I also felt short of breath after my shower today. I am blaming the cytoxan. Hate to be that way, but awfully coincidental. The shortness of breath improved with some rest, but ... A friend going thru chemo for breast cancer that has asthma has a lot of respiratory issues and they took her off the cytoxan and it improved. You had better believe I am telling them this again before I go to chemo next time. I am not losing feeling in my face and having respiratory issues. 

     I go back to work Monday, May 9th... half days only. But back to work. Anxious about that. Hope it goes well. Hope I do well. My next chemo is May 17. On May 10 we have a dinner at church for women. I am doing a "cardboard testimony" there. It should be good. I hope I can show God's love and be worthy of being a testimony. 


No comments:

Post a Comment