Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Week One Post Op/ treatment plan

     So.... continuing on my journey. I had a post op appointment with my surgeon's nurses on Monday April 4. I was hoping to get at least one drain removed, maybe two. Those drains were putting out still a lot of liquid (at least 2 of them were). My friend, Natalie, took me to the doctor's office. After removing my dressing, and reviewing how much was going into each drain, it was determined that drain #1 could be pulled. I lay down on the table and the nurse removed the sutures holding it in place. She then pulled the drain out. It was not comfortable, but ok. I took this opportunity to look down at my incision. It was still covered with a dressing, but looked alright. 
     
     It was/ is difficult to say how it looked. It is hard to determine how I felt as well. I think this is because I still have not looked at my incision face on. I looked down on it and it does not seem like I was looking at my own chest, but someone else's. 

     So, another appointment was set up so that I could return again to hopefully have another drain removed. I was left with 2 now... So, still now showers, only sponge baths. Boo. 

     Wednesday April 6 came. My oncology appointment. We met with Dr Filix. He reviewed my pathology report from my latest surgery. Thank you Jesus!!!! The cancer was confined to my left breast and to the 3 lymph nodes that were associated with my left breast. The other lymph nodes were cancer free and the right breast was cancer free! Thank you Jesus! What a relief. Dr Filix, in talking with us told me we did the right thing by having both breasts removed. Dr Filix told me his plan for chemo to start on me in the next 3-5 weeks. I would start out with the red devil and another medication. I will go every other week for 4 treatments. They can be given every 14 - 21 days, but he is going to do every 14 days with me. He is also going to give me Neulasta in the self injecting module.  This is to help my white blood cell count not drop to dangerous levels. He feels I will do well and told me to keep my positive attitude. I will do better with a positive attitude. He is such a great doctor. I just love him. He told me this first round of chemo will be the worst. It will hit hard but will only be four treatments. He said when I am done with this, I will have weekly chemo for 12 weeks, but it will be easier on me than the first round. I will lose my hair. The worst side effect of the first one (besides hair loss) is nausea. He told me to take my nausea medicine as ordered. He said the medication, lots of water, proper nutrition and a positive attitude and I will be ok. He set me up for chemo education and another appointment. 

     While trying to recover, I have rested. My sweet dog, Grace and my kitty Nymphadora have kept me company 
 They are so sweet and warm! and cuddly. I have also continued my school work. I am working towards my bachelors degree and trying to keep up on that as well. I think I am in week 5 of a 7 week course. Then I will take summer off and start again in the fall. My intention is to graduate in December 2016. 

     While I lost one drain, I still have 2. I am to see the nurses again and hopefully get at least one more removed. Pain is easing up on the lymph node area and the burning is off and on still. I am still tired and have nausea off and on and appetite waxes and wanes. The women of my church, First Christian Church, are incredible! They have brought us food daily. They are so good to us. I have had some visitors. All in all. I'm doing ok.... God is here.... Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment