Friday, March 18, 2016

SURGERY!


     So, the day had come..... Breast Cancer Surgery date.... March 14, 2016. I was so relieved. 

     We had to be at the imaging center next to the hospital at 8:45 so that I could get an injection of radiation in my breast. The injection was necessary so that my surgeon could tell which lymph nodes were related to the breast. She would use a gieger monitor to listen to the nodes to determine which were which. She would also inject blue dye in my breast during surgery to also illuminate the lymph nodes so that she would know which nodes were attached to the breast. This was so that she could remove those nodes only (at first) and have them immediately taken to pathology so that they could tell if my lymph nodes had cancer. If they test positive for cancer, all the lymph nodes come out. If they test negative, then only the ones attached to the breast are removed (as they already were). 

    My cousin, Dan, met us at the imaging center. We talked while I waited. I was called back and vitals were taken. I was also given a heart shaped pillow with a breast cancer ribbon on it to use post op. It was suggested to use this under my seat belt and under my arm pit as there would be an incision there as well. I received my injection, more vital signs and then we walked next door to the surgery hospital. 
    
     At the hospital, my cousin, Barbara, was there and my friend, Lori. I hugged them all and was taken back to get ready. Of course, I had to wait a couple hours for surgery because it takes awhile for the radiation to get from my breast to the lymph nodes. I changed my clothes and had my IV started. Praise GOD! My nurse was Tammy. A nurse from my church. God is good! Tammy also told me that another woman from church, Wendy, had come by the hospital to see me prior to surgery but I was next door getting my injection. How sweet!  After some time, my husband came back with Joel, one of the ministers from my church. We talked and then Joel prayed for us. How peaceful. 

    Then it was a lot of company.... my cousin Barbara came back with my best friend Tammy. My daughter, Rebekah came back. My Uncle Harold and Aunt Patty. My dear friend Pattie. My cousin Dan. (I think that was it). Barbara prayed with me. My Uncle Harold prayed with me. My cousin Dan prayed with me.... WOW! so much prayer! It was great! Then Brad, Tammy and Rebekah were there.... and it was time to take me away.... 

     I was taken to the OR. The nurse that transported me was great. She is a five year breast cancer survivor. She spoke with me on my trip to surgery and asked if I had a faith practice. I told her I was a Christian. She told me that God is the biggest help during this battle. I was set up in the OR. My right arm placed to my side and sort of strapped down, the left arm as well. Was I having surgery on my breast or being crucified? The nurse anesthetist told me I would feel some burning in my IV and to take some deep breaths.... the next thing I knew, I was being woken up. 

     While I was in there... the circulating nurse called Brad. She reported to him that the result from the lymph nodes was back and it was negative. He paused and said let me understand, there is no cancer in the lymph nodes. She said correct, the lymph nodes are cancer free. He said "Thank you Jesus!" and he said he started to cry. Of course, the whole family is watching so he gave them thumbs up and then told them when he walked back to them. Apparently they all started praising God right there! Please understand, I believe God would still have worked with this and helped me had the cancer been in my lymph nodes, but still... THANK YOU GOD FOR MY LYMPH NODES BEING CANCER FREE!!!!! 

     I woke up and did what I told my family I was going to do.... I reached over and felt my left arm pit. I said to my post op nurse, "I don't have a drain, do I?" She answered no. I smiled and said "Oh thank you Jesus! That means my lymph nodes were clear and I don't have cancer there!" She smiled at me. Brad came back. I told him I checked and no cancer in my nodes. He smiled and said "I know, I know". He was teary. I am teary writing this! What a relief! This means no radiation! Oh thank you God! 

     My family came in and out of recovery. I was a little nauseous and a lot thirsty. Very dry mouth. My nurse gave me some zofran and some sprite and graham crackers. The nausea left, the dry mouth.... well, that took a couple days.... Before I knew it, it was time to go home! Brad helped me dress and I was wheeled out! They were so good to me there at Ohio Valley Surgical Hospital. So good.... 

     I found out that my surgeon, Dr Daniels, took my tumors to pathology and they told her the margins were clear, but close.... so she immediately went back to the OR and removed more tissue. Her theory and thought process it that she wants to make SURE she got it all. FINE BY ME! Get every bit you can! I have dressings across my left breast, under my left arm pit and above my right breast, right subclavian region for my port. No driving. Dressings to stay on until Friday.  No lifting over 20 pounds (grandkids are out) and rest and other activities as normal. 

     Home.....  Cody was awake and getting ready to come to the hospital to see me. Instead he saw me at home and then he was off to work. My cousin (cousins wife) Suzanne came and brought us dinner. DELICIOUS! She also prayed with us. (so much love and prayer today!) My cousin Vicki came and brought us gift cards to Chipotle! YUM-O! and my best friend came again and brought me pie, since it was pi day! Rebekah stayed for awhile...  Before I knew it, Brad and I were going to sleep. The day was over and I was home..... Thank you Lord for friends, family and love and prayer.... 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment