Friday, March 18, 2016

I got to see the Pandas!!!

      So..... before my surgery, my daughter, Rebekah, who is a dance major  senior at Wright State University had an audition in Washington DC... The audition was set for Sunday March 13... We had decided since DC is not so far away, we would go with her. I asked if we could go on Friday night so that we could go to the National Zoo on Saturday. YES! We got to go! I cannot tell you how excited I was! 

     So, home from work on Friday (which was a great day and another blog) and we were off to the zoo. Arrived in DC around 1am. Slept til around 830, got up and took off towards Dupont Circle. Why? It was close and I knew there was a Starbucks near there and  Krispy Kreme. Andrew (Rebekah's fiance`) got a bagel at Starbucks, I got a Chai Frappucino (mmmmm) and we walked up to Krispy Kreme.... Hot/ Now donuts... mmmmm fresh from the grease and icing waterfall. They were DELICIOUS! 

     So, down to the subway.... bought our passes and took off toward the zoo. As we exited the subway (it has been a few years since I have been to DC) Brad, Rebekah and Andrew use their pass to exit... I didn't see why... I just pushed thru the gate and exited. Well... apparently the DC subway does not charge you until you EXIT! OOPS! So, that ride was free! We started walking towards the zoo. Brad pointed out that we drove past here the night before and he didn't remember seeing a zoo. I shrugged... Finally, we get there! The National ZOO!!! WOOOOO!!!! 
  So, the sign is not in your face... That would explain why he didn't see it at midnight the night before! Off we go.... We saw the sloth bear, the fisher cat, looked for the clouded leopard, but he was hiding and the red panda exhibit is closed presently.... Then we went to the otters.... The small clawed Aisian otters... OH MY GOSH! They were so stinkin cute!!! They are also my FAVORITE animal of all time! I just love them! They were running around, playing and eating.... we saw them again at the end of the day and it was sprinkling, they were upset and wanted inside and went to the door that would take them inside and would squee and such and then run to another area and squee... SO PRECIOUS! 
 I just love watching them play and run and talk to each other... 

     Then it was time for the big event (for me) the Giant Pandas... I was hoping they would be awake... I watch them online all the time, the National Zoo has Panda Cams that allows you to watch the pandas at anytime of the day or night. Some people say I am stalking them... no, no, no... I am an interested wildlife enthusiast. Anyway.... We say them.... they were so precious and cute and funny! I loved every minute of it! 
   This was such an awesome day! Rebekah was able to see the American Bison (her favorite animal) and Andrew was able to go thru the bird house (which was what he desired most) and Brad got to see the Gorilla, which is why he goes to zoos to begin with). The silverback was HUGE and awesome! 
 

As soon as it started, it seemed our day at the zoo was done. We then headed back to the hotel to rest as I was going to meet up with a friend from Kindergarten (that I had from then until now and went to school with all the way thru) later for drinks and such. 

     So that evening, we met up with my longtime friend, Kris at a Tapas bar near the Verizon Center where there were a lot of NCAA games going on. We shared a lot of good times and laughs and a pitcher of sangria (which was AWESOME!). It was a great time and so glad to see her! Especially while she is in the states. She is a Captain in the US Navy, a member of JAG. She has traveled all over the world and has been raising a family all the while! Thank you Kris for your service to our country! and thank you also for such a great time!!!! 

     Rebekah went to her audition which did not pan out (insert sad face). We went to see the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and then did a quick drive around the mall before we headed home. It was a quick trip but a great way to relax before surgery. I'm so glad we went..... so headed home on Sunday, to have surgery on Monday..... WOW! 



No comments:

Post a Comment