Saturday, July 2, 2016

oncology appointment


Well..... we went to see Dr Filix.....  He thinks I'm doing ok.... I told him about the cough..... It could be chemo related.... He also wondered if it was related to the acid reflux (which I never had until I had chemo) or if it is allergy related, but there is no evidence of drainage in my throat..... This cough is brutal..... He wrote me a script for a cough suppressant... it does help.... but halfway thru the night.... I'm coughing like I'm dying...... He also wanted me to get a chest xray.... He suggested a pulmonary consult, but said let's get the chest xray first.... I keep checking on line to see if there are any results posted.... no, not yet.... 

We left his office and went straight over to the hospital to get the chest film. That took forEVER! 

Later that day, Rebekah took me to the grocery. Brad seemed a little sad/ hurt at first because he said, I can go to the store.... Yes, I know he can, but he is so busy .... He goes into work at 5 or 6 every morning.... gets off at 5ish... comes home, cooks supper, cleans house, mows the grass, does the laundry, sees if I need anything, plays with the boys, the list goes on and on..... he runs to the store if there is something more he can think of that we need.... plus he tries to go to the gym to relieve some stress. and keep in mind he takes me to the doctor and makes sure someone can take me to chemo if he has already had to miss work during that pay period .... 

So Rebekah took me to the grocery.... what fun she had! She pulled my wheelchair and pushed the cart..... of course, I would get thru part of the store and remember something I wanted from a previous part so Rebekah would have to go back and get it. I think I stressed her out a bit..... part way thru, I had to call Brad about the cost of soda... He has been buying it (and all things since I got sick) and he usually gets it at WalMart because it has been cheaper than Kroger.... The sale Kroger had going on, was better, so we got soda.... I also had to text Brad about things we were going to make for the holiday.... My cousin always hosts a family reunion on the fourth of July. We try to bring something different.... So, I'm texting him thru the store..... I was like a nutty woman..... We also had to stop at the pharmacy and pick up the scripts Dr Filix called in for me. Of course insurance would not pay for the nasal spray (Flonase) because it is now over the counter. Figures... but whatever.... it was good... 

While we are at the doctors office, I asked him when i would start the next round of chemo.... I have Taxol next. I have two more visits with the Adriamycin. I asked if I would immediately go into it... no... I would have a couple weeks off then start the new med.... Personally, I just want to start it and get it over with. but...... so, it looks like July 27 or August 3 I will start the next round of chemo. 12 weeks of it.....  So, it looks like I possibly won't be done with chemo until October 19th or so.... depending on times I may have to skip it because of low white cells etc.... then I will have to take a break of a couple weeks and start radiation (if that is what they are still planning on doing)... At the beginning they were going to do radiation as well.... So assuming I have to do radiation.... I will finish with that just before Christmas.... Oh my gosh.... I still cannot believe that this has been my whole year. 

In someways, I'm sad about this taking my whole year.... In other ways, I'm ok.... the reason I'm ok, is I was diagnosed early on in the year.... with that, I met my deductible early on and then I met my maximum out of pocket quickly as well..... so.... while my insurance would normally cover 80% of the chemo and radiation, because I have met my maximum out of pocket, I owe nothing.... any tests I have done, anything my insurance picks it up. So, praise the Lord for that.... 

Ok.... It's Saturday morning and I've done nothing.... I need to try to do some stuff.....  

Happy Fourth of July Weekend! Thank you God for our freedom and thank you for all the men and women that have fought and defended our freedom ..... 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment