Monday, November 14, 2016

my final chemo

Well, I had my final chemo! I was so glad... My last chemo was 10 days ago, on November 4, 2016. I was anxious because I was worried that my white blood cell count would not be high enough. But it was 3.3. 

Some people have said they cried when they got their last one. I didn't cry. I was just relieved. But I was also scared. Scared of what is ahead of me. It's been since the end of April that I have been doing chemotherapy. I sort of felt like it was a security blanket I had towards the cancer. Plus, I did have something to look forward to every week. Someplace to go. Now... 

Anyway, My final chemo. Brad and Rebekah came with me and sat with me the whole time. Then towards the end of my chemo, Rebeka's in-laws (and my friends) Mitch and Dulce Hurst came by. Cody also came at the end. They all sat with me while I was disconnected and said goodbye to my nurses. Then we all walked towards the front. While I checked out, 

The staff called a code. A "Code Sunshine". This is something they always do when someone has their last treatement. All the available staff comes to the lobby. 

I walked over to the bell and read the poem. Then rang that bell loudly three times! It was awesome... I was so glad to share that moment with my family. 

When we were done Andrew, my son-in-law came. Then we went to Guerra's Krazy Tacos for a post chemo meal! Delicious! I had the lobster taco and the Wild Lucy! They were so good. 

So... this past Friday came and went. I did not go to chemo. It was quite strange. It was nice not to have to go, but I admit I missed the nurses. I also missed someone coming to get me and talking with me for 2 1/2 hours. 

What now? Well, this past Friday I started oral chemo. I start Tamoxifen. It is an ANTI hormonal medication. Since my cancer is driven by hormones (estrogen and progesterone) I have to take medication that will block those hormones and stop them. I will be on this oral chemo for 10 years. I will take the tamoxifen for a few years and then switch to arimidex. I have to wait until I officially go thru the change of life to start the arimidex. Yes, I had a hysterectomy several years ago, but I kept my ovaries. So, I will still go thru the change. Although I have experienced a lot of symptoms already. 

I am feeling ok on the tamoxifen. It hasn't been a week yet, but so far, so good. Now more work begins. 

I have gotten so out of shape while trying to fight cancer. I started going to yoga a few weeks ago. The class only meets once a week, but I am going. It is really good to go to and stretch my muscles out. I am trying this week to get my body into better shape. Well, just getting it used to doing more work. 

Chemo made me so tired and weak, I couldn't do much. So I didn't. My arms and legs are so deconditioned. I wouldn't be surprised if my muscles atrophied. I used to be a runner! 
So, I am trying to do like 4 stairs repeatedly (the original stair climber) and lift very small weights. I also walked to the end of my street today and back. It's more hard work than you would imagine. But, my body deserves better than what it has. So, I'm gonna work hard to get back into shape. 

I'm still off work. I am not released to return to work until December. It will be interesting to see what my body and hair are like when it is time to return. Presently I am thinking I will still be wearing a wig. Brad says my hair looks good, but it is about 1/4 of an inch long. He says it's cute. I'm not comfortable showing my fuzzy head without a hat or a wig presently. 

I will update again this week... more about my emotions and feelings. This entry is more about facts. 

Hope all is well. If not, turn to the One who can calm you. I love the Lord. He loves you! 

Peace and Love to you all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment